Saturday, June 22, 2013

Getting Started

You have to start somewhere.  I have been thinking about this for a while now, but it took a little encouragement this week from @ED_SHIFT's Justin Vail to start actually writing.  He and Joey Till worked with our faculty this week, training on Google Apps for Education in preparation for our school's 1:1 Chromebook initiative this fall. It was a fast-paced day and our staff was energized by envisioning how these tools will help transform our school.  I am excited about what the future holds for our school, and I know that we would not be able to consider this great leap without all of the help we have received from others.

For me personally, I know that I would not have felt comfortable facilitating this change for our school without a huge change in my professional learning   Two years ago, when one of my best friends, Bryan Rausch @brausch1991 told me that I needed to get on Twitter.  He told me to start by following @ToddWhitaker. I  had previously read two of his books and had heard him speak at multiple conferences, so it was an easy decision.  I knew Todd Whitaker was great, so it seemed to reason that people he followed or people that followed him were probably great too.  From there, following great educators like @CurtRees, @ideaguy42,  @Mr_Brett_Clark, @posickjm @kylepace and so many others, reading their blogs, following links and reading articles, my eyes were opened to conversations that I didn't know were taking place.  For the better part of two years I have lurked, read, digested and explored. I am continually amazed by the variety of topics and depth of knowledge so routinely shared.

From these conversations we started to explore the use of Chromebooks.  A one hour phone call with @Mr_Brett_Clark fast-tracked our decision making process.  As excited as I am about the flexibility and power of such an affordable device, I am much more excited about how the changes that it enables.  We envision a greater focus on student creation, improved ability to differentiate, access to more resources, and the shift from technology use as an "event" to seamless integration. I know there will be bumps and hurdles, policy revisions and tweaks, but the outcomes will far outweigh any obstacles.

So here is a start.  Thanks to everyone on twitter who has unknowingly influnced me. I hope the things I choose to share can help others the way that so many have already helped us.




6 comments:

  1. Chad - Glad you've entered another space to share your thoughts. Another great writing/sharing practice is to pay attention to the comments that are left on blogs. (Maybe you do this already.) I really enjoy reading, and sometimes adding my own, the comments on the blogs of Scott McLeod, George Couros, and Dean Shareski. Some fabulous ideas are exchanged there.

    We just started using Chromebooks in my school this year, and it is going very well. All of our students have Google accounts and they have really benefitted from these devices. If you and your students want to connect with another school for collaborative work, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curt,

    Thanks for taking the time to read and give feedback! I have recently "found" Dean on twitter and have started to read his blog. I agree Scott and George have so much to share, and the conversations in the the comments are very rich. This is an area of growth for me to move from reading comments to being an active part of the conversation.

    I would really like to pick your brain about best uses of the CB's in your school. Thanks again for all you share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chad,
    Thanks for including me in your first blog. I am honored to be mentioned. Blogging is another great way to share your ideas and receive feedback.
    If you ever want to talk about Chromebooks, feel free to contact me.
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,

      Thanks for taking some time to leave a comment. I truly appreciate your tweets and sharing. I started following you when I was looking for Chromebook info, and I would really enjoy talking with you about how you incorporate them at your school.
      Thanks again

      Delete
  4. Chad,
    Fantastic blog! I love the format and the content. Well done. I'm really grateful you decided to work with us and honored you mentioned us in you first broadcast! This is going to be a great platform for you to reflect on your practice, document your 1:1 implementation, and communicate to the world, local and beyond. I look forward to watching this story unfold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justin! It was very easy to set up..thanks for the recommendation on Blogger. Keep up the great work and I look forward to working with you again later this summer.

      Delete